Thursday, February 17, 2011

Yes, I'm complaining about the cold


I feel like I really underestimated the Shanghai winter. It’s cold. I’m cold.
It’s true, it’s definitely warmer than Michigan – and over the Spring Festival holiday we got really lucky with temperatures mostly in the 40s and some days in in the 50s and reaching into the 60s. But now, the temperatures have dipped back down to the low 30s, again, and we’ve seen a little snow and a little cold rain mixed with sleet.
When I packed my suitcase to come to Shanghai, I knew it was cold, but I kept thinking, “Not as cold as Michigan. Not as cold as Michigan!” I was more worried about Shanghai summers, which are supposed to be extremely hot and humid. So, I brought one coat, two winter hats, one scarf, one pair of mittens and very few sweaters to free up room for warmer weather clothing.
I’m cold!
On a particularly cold night last week, I met up with friends and I was commenting on how cold it was. The Americans said, “But, you’re from Michigan, aren’t you used to this?”
Sure, it’s much colder in the winter in Michigan and it snows and it’s icy, and in general, treacherous and dismal and depressing, but here’s the thing: I never walk anywhere in Michigan in the winter. On cold mornings I’d leave my toasty house for about 2 minutes to start my car, then drive to work in a warm car, spend about 30 seconds in the cold parking lot walking to the door and then once again I’d be inside a nice, warm building. Really, on average I’d spend about 3 minutes actually outside in the freezing cold.
Here, I walk to the metro station, I walk to work, I walk to restaurants, I walk to get coffee, I walk to the grocery store. I’m outside all the time. And it’s cold.
What I miss even more is central heating. Oh, central heating! In my apartment in Shanghai, I have what is essentially a space heater mounted on the wall that kicks out hot air maybe every half hour and doesn’t even come close to actually heating my bedroom. Sometimes I just stand under it, like it’s some sort of human dryer, until I’m warm. 
When I go to bed, I bundle up in clothes that, when I packed them, were intended to be worn outside of the apartment, not to sleep. One of the few sweaters I brought has turned into pajamas, along with running tights and sweatpants – worn at the same time for extra warmth – socks, slippers and a few times even a hat. I feel like I’m camping all the time.
Now that we’re headed towards the end of February, I’m hoping the weather warms up soon. Although, I have a feeling that come around July, I’ll just repost this blog replacing “cold” with “hot” and wishing it were in the 30s, again. 

A sidebar about the washing machine

Laundry (not my own) being hung to dry outside my apartment.

Thanks to everyone who commented about the washing machine. I did eventually break down and start pushing buttons. There were two in particular that screamed “Try me” so I did. One, I’m assuming was power and one was start. The other buttons….I’m not going to press my luck here. So, I have clean clothes, I can use the washer, I just can’t use any of its other functions like gentle cycle, etc.

2 comments:

Hil said...

Aww, I'm so sorry! I totally understand! It doesn't really matter what the temperature says, the cold there is much colder than MI, like a wet cold that never lets you warm up. I couldn't even tell you how many blankets I had on my bed. Try sleeping with a hat on, it keeps the warmth in :)

Lisa Gervais said...

Thanks! I've definitely been sleeping with a hat (sometimes a scarf) :) It's warmed up the past few days, but tomorrow starts a good run of rain. I'm sure I'll wish it was cold in July when the humidity is killing!