Monday, July 12, 2010

Change -- get it? Get it?

 
{Old 2008 snapshot of Sam Roberts by Kim Scherer when we had a Great Canadian Adventure}

On Saturday, I went to Canada to see this fella by the name of Sam Roberts. He was opening for some band called Weezer. (I know what you're thinking, and it's not the incarcerated rapper with a penchant for women and gold teeth.) We actually left halfway through Weezer.




 While in Canada, I had poutine with my friends Jen and Keith. 

Poutine from a truck, under the bridge, by the river -- 'cause that's classy! And poutine should always be classy!


I made it home with a handful of this: Canadian coins. 
I always think I'm broke when I head home from Canada. Then I find 8 pounds worth of coins in my bag. 
I'm still broke, because I can't use it here, but it sort of makes me feel better about not having spent all my money and I sometimes find places to unload it in the U.S.
I used to live in an apartment complex where the washing machines took Canadian quarters. When I was in college, I also found parking meters that took Canadian change.
I've tried once -- or twice -- to take my Canadian money to my bank and have once -- or twice -- been told that I couldn't exchange foreign currency there. Which was weird because if there was a place you'd think you could exchange foreign currency, it would be a bank.
(Same topic, different story: I was once frowned upon by a Swiss Chalet waitress somewhere outside of Toronto when I asked for "singles" so I could leave her a tip. "Singles?" "Yes, could I please have some singles?" "Singles?" "Yes, singles.....dollars?" "Ohhhhh.")

No comments: